Tuesday 8 February 2011

Water under the bridge

A lot of water has passed under bridge since my last post.

My neck has improved, after about 6 months the pain eased away, there is reduced mobility and i have no feeling in the top of my left hand but apart from that things are a lot better.

I have been training reguarly 3 or four times a week and at the end of 2010 I was awarded my brown belt by Raphy and Marcus Tulio a 2nd degree black belt under De La Riva. I did not really think at the time that I deserved it or was ready, If fact I felt happy at purple. But I got jumped at a class at that was that.

I competed a couple of times at brown adult to gauge how the level compared to purple. Make one mistake and you are toast was my conclusion.I then traveled to the European championships at the end of Jan 2011.

I am in two minds about competing I feel I should be trying to open my game up and experiment in the pressure cooker that is competition.On the other hand it is about winning and you should play your a game.Which is how my euros panned out really.

first and only match in my weight category I tried to stay loose and fluid, jumped open guard and tried to work a sweep to go top. Ended up getting passed and the guy clung on getting a couple of penalties. Got to half guard and was so desperate to score ended up getting choked.

Was very upset and thought for the absolute just stick to my A game. Which worked well and I ended up with gold after winning two. So on balance it was ok.

Back two the hard work now. 2011 is the year of the sweep !!

No comments:

Post a Comment